We welcome new members to the dance team and are happy to provide this vast range of information to help you prepare for gatherings, performances, and competition.
The requirements for being a member of the Nawakwa Native American Dance Team are:
- You are a registered Boy Scout or Adult registered with the Heart of Virginia Council in Virginia.
- You are at least an Ordeal member in the Order of the Arrow Nawakwa Lodge #3.
- You are a paid up on your dues as a member of the Lodge.
If any of the above items do not reflect your current status, then we are sorry to say that you care not eligible to become a member of the dance team. If you are a registered scout in the Heart of Virginia Council, then we would suggest you run for the Order of the Arrow and once you have taken your Ordeal contact us.
While the information below is for our members, we freely provide this to anyone that wishes to learn. The information provided here is from other sites, our own research, and materials we have gathered over the years. If you have anything you feel would be of benefit, please send it to us.
We also require that every member of team provide a way for communications, electronically if at all possible. We have a lot of events and performances that we participate in and we need a good communications between the members and the adult advisors. The team is only as good as the members that support it.
A number of the items below can be found throughout the site, but we have gathered the ones we feel are a good start for making a “New Member Packet”.
We have tried to arrange these in the order of importance.
- AHO! (Read this first)
- Welcome to the Nawakwa Lodge Native American Dance Team
- A Day in the Life of a Nawakwa Lodge Native American Dance Team Member
- Blessing to the Spirit
- Personal Regalia Check List and Inventory Sheet
- Types of Dancers
- Old Time Sioux Dancers and Regalia
- Etiquette – Communications
- Etiquette – Pow Wow
- Etiquette – Southern Drum Protocol
- Etiquette – Tipi
- Competition – Group Dance
- Competition – Individual
- Competition – Team Singing
- Central Plains War Dance Bustle
- Old Time Northern Plains Bustle
- Sioux Nation Dancing for President Coolidge
Due to the large amount and ever changing information, we have chosen to place all the New Member Packet information directly on our site. This allows you to come back and obtain it whenever you need it.